The Potomac Playmakers is an all-volunteer 501(c)3 non-profit organization based in Hagerstown, Maryland. Its purpose is to produce and promote theatrical performances, in order to educate, entertain, and preserve the tradition of live theatre. Begun in 1926, The Potomac Playmakers is the second oldest community theater in Maryland. It was created by the Hagerstown Women’s Club after a member, Mary Lemist Titcomb, suggested that a formal theater group would help get the local community involved in the theatrical performances the Women’s Club performed throughout the year. Ms. Titcomb, who in 1902 had been the head librarian of the newly created Washington County Free Library, was famous for also being the founder of the first Bookmobile.
The Potomac Playmakers performed on the stage of the Women’ Club for most of its long history, but in recent years decided to seek a permanent home of its own. In 2018, through a generous grant from the Agnita Stine Schreiber Fund, the former Cedar Lawn Missionary Church building was purchased, and the renovations began to turn it into a venue that seats 120 people.